Luzvin Garcia, 28, allegedly assaulted woman waiting for transportation over the weekend.
By Marcus Webb | The Commonwealth Wire
A 28-year-old Arlington man has been arrested and charged with attempted rape after allegedly attacking a woman who was waiting for a rideshare in Clarendon over the weekend, according to Arlington County Police.
Luzvin Garcia was taken into custody following an investigation into the Saturday evening assault that occurred in the 3000 block of Clarendon Boulevard, police said in a statement Monday.
The victim, whose identity has not been released, was waiting for her rideshare transportation when Garcia allegedly approached and assaulted her, according to the police report. Details about the specific nature of the attack were not immediately available.
Arlington County Police responded to the scene after receiving reports of the assault. Officers located Garcia nearby and arrested him without incident, police said.
Garcia has been charged with attempted rape and is being held at the Arlington County Detention Facility. Bond information was not immediately available.
The investigation remains active, and police are asking anyone with information about the incident to contact the Arlington County Police Department’s tip line at 703-228-4180 or submit tips anonymously through the department’s website.
Clarendon, located in central Arlington County, is a busy commercial and residential area known for its restaurants, nightlife, and proximity to the Clarendon Metro station on the Orange and Silver lines. The neighborhood typically sees heavy foot traffic, particularly on weekends.
This incident marks the latest in a series of public safety concerns that have prompted increased police patrols in Arlington’s urban corridors. Arlington County Police Chief Andy Penn has previously emphasized the department’s commitment to maintaining safety in high-traffic areas like Clarendon and Ballston.
The attack occurred during peak weekend hours when the area typically experiences significant pedestrian activity from both residents and visitors to the numerous bars and restaurants along Clarendon Boulevard.
Arlington County Commonwealth’s Attorney Parisa Dehghani-Tafti’s office will handle the prosecution of the case. A preliminary hearing date has not yet been scheduled.
Police officials remind residents to remain aware of their surroundings, particularly when using rideshare services or public transportation during evening hours. The department recommends waiting for transportation in well-lit, populated areas when possible.
The Arlington County Police Department’s Special Victims Unit is leading the investigation. Additional charges may be pending as the investigation continues, according to police.
Key Facts
- Luzvin Garcia, 28, of Arlington charged with attempted rape in Clarendon attack
- Victim was waiting for rideshare on Clarendon Boulevard when allegedly assaulted Saturday evening
- Garcia arrested without incident and held at Arlington County Detention Facility
- Investigation ongoing with Special Victims Unit leading the case